Custom fields in Workast
Workast is a task management app for teams that use Slack. Workast can help teams feel more organized, get more work done, and be more productive in the workplace. Workast is great for remote teams as it gives greater visibility to what each team member is working on.
You can now create custom fields which will be visible on a Workast task. Custom fields can be used for anything within your teams workflow. It is designed to provide flexibility to work, and allows each team to customize Workast based on their needs.
How to create a custom field
- Click on a space
- Click on the gear icon at the top right of the space and click on "Custom Fields".
- The default view when the "Add custom fields" link is clicked is the below. There are two actions you can take here:
- + Create new: This will create a new custom field
- Priority: This custom field is a pre-made custom field. You can turn this on by clicking the switch. It will be blue when activated.
- Click on "Create new" to create a new custom field:
- Once the form is completed, the custom field needs to be activated. You can do this by clicking on the switch next to the custom field. The blue indicates that the custom field is active:
- Press the X to close the custom fields box. You will see the new custom field on the task:
Types of custom fields
When you choose "Options" as the type of field, you will be required to create the custom options that a user can choose when completing this custom field.
The options will show to the end user.
You can choose the colour of each custom field by clicking on the pain brush and then choosing the colour from the colour picker.
Options are a great option when there is always a set answer.
Here are some examples of where you can use options:
- Approvers name
- Order status
- Project stage
- Shipping carrier
- Workflow stage
When you choose the "text" field, the end user can type any text into the text box when completing this custom field. This is best when the answer is always different.
Here are some examples of where you can use text:
- Additional information
- Email address
Custom fields can be made with numbers only.
Examples of custom fields that would use numbers include:
- Phone numbers
- Order numbers
How to complete a custom field
- Go to a space
- Click on a task
- If custom fields are activated for this space, you will see the options to complete the custom fields on the task
- Click next to the custom field. An icon will appear to complete the field.
- Click on the icon and this will allow you to complete the custom field based on how it is formatted.
- To edit the answer to a custom field, click on the edit icon. You will now to be able to choose a new answer. For text and number answers, press enter to save the field. For the "options", when you choose a new option, it will automatically save.
- Custom fields can be created by members and administrators of the Workast account. Guest users do not have access to creating custom fields.
- Custom fields are activated on a "per space" basis. Whichever fields are activated for that space, will show on the task.
- Only one answer per custom field is allowed on each task.
- The answer to the custom field can be amended on the task.
More articles from How to guides
- How to create a task in Workast
- How to edit the name of a task
- How to clone or duplicate a task
- How to create a subtask
- How to edit or customize a subtask
- How to add an attachment or file to a task
- How to copy the task ID and summary
- Using email to create a task
- How to leave a comment on a task in Workast
- How to tag your teammates in a task comment
- Moving tasks
- How to delete a task
- How to turn on or off task creation messages in Slack channels when a task is created in Workast
- Personal Tasks in Workast
- Using the Home Page in Workast
- My current tasks (How to set a priority or favorite task)
- How to copy the link (URL) to a task
- How to sort tasks in a space
- How to use the multi-select mode in Workast
Install Workast to your Slack workspace and start organizing your teamwork today.Get Started